243 Consumers Road, Toronto, Ontario, M2J 4W8
Take ownership and find more ways to care about our local store owners in a career at Shoppers Drug Mart Central Office / Store Support. Provide great service, specific expertise and actionable advice to support Associate-Owners and their staff in delivering the best health, beauty and convenience services to Canadians.
Why this role is important?
As a Senior Copywriter, you’ll focus all your insight-tapping, story-telling and wordsmithing abilities on delivering customer-centric communications across all customer experienc
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Creative & Brand Communications, you’ll partner with Senior Graphic Designers to develop creative concepts and write and edit creative deliverables for Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix, Murale and their associated brands. You’ll write copy for Marketing Campaigns, In-store Signage, In-store Radio, Web and Email Assets, Brochures, Direct Mail, Marketing Books, OOH, Digital Media and National Radio Campaigns. You’ll also work closely with the Senior Manager, Brand Communications to scope, plan and execute all projects and ensure that they are aligned with our Shoppers Drug Mart voice and brand standards. You’ll have the ability to lead the development of creative concepts and copy for all pillars of the business (Health, Beauty, Convenience) and manage complex campaigns while maintaining brand consistency and integrity.
Please note: this is a 9 month contract opportunity. It will be based out of our North York office, though we have a flexible work environment with work from home options.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with the assigned Senior Graphic Designer on concept development and messaging structure for all key campaigns.
- Develop concepts and copy for all customer-facing materials including in-store signage, digital, out of home, newspaper, magazine, direct mail, marketing books, flyer, broadcast (scripts for radio, tv, video) etc.
- Interpret strategic objectives and translate them into tactics that a design team can execute.
- Contribute to the creative process – alone or as part of a team – by generating ideas for marketing initiatives.
- Incorporate research findings provided by the consumer insights team to ensure concepts are insights-driven.
- Write clear, persuasive, original copy without extraneous embellishments and ensure proposed concept copy is ownable/not trademarked or in use by other companies (CIPO/general searches).
- Attend briefing meetings, status meetings and kick-off meetings where scope and scale of projects are discussed and offer insight and expertise on best practices for messaging.
- Manage workflow, adhere to schedules and delegate copy requests as needed.
- Lead creative presentations to various marketing teams and senior management and provide a confident creative point of view.
- Ensure all projects meet brand standards and are completed on schedule.
- Maintain brand consistency across all marketing communications.
- Review talent castings and determine best voices for broadcast.
- Attend radio records and direct talent and production.
- Work with external agencies/partners and vendors and provide direction/edits and approvals on outsourced copy, as required.
- Keep abreast of advertising trends, consumer surveys and other data regarding marketing-specific related goods and services.
- Use organizational skills to maintain digital filing systems and processes that provide structure to workflow of copy within the creative department.
What you’ll need:
- Strong creative thinking/problem solving with an ability to find unique and compelling ideas that are on brand.
- Excellent storytelling skills with a proven ability to write clear, original copy.
- Strong proofing and editing skills – copy reviewed by his/her supervisor should be left largely unmodified.
- Willingness, flexibility and an open-minded attitude toward concept/copy critique and the ability to amend, revise or redevelop campaigns in response to feedback from senior management.
- Understanding of brand, industry and business needs.
- Thorough understanding of digital best practices, web information architecture, design and UX.
- Strong health care/pharmacy marketing background with knowledge of best practices and regulatory restrictions.
- Experience researching, writing and editing pharmacy marketing materials.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to conceptually understand business implications.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Superior organizational and multitasking skills with proven ability to operate in a fast-paced environment with tight timelines and little supervision.
- Ability to work independently and take on a leadership role when required.
- Education: Post-secondary education required, with a focus on writing and marketing communications.
- Experience: The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years’ experience in copywriting/advertising/communications. Retail copywriting experience, in-depth knowledge of digital, health care/pharmacy and radio scripting are required.
Please include a link to your portfolio so we can check out some of your previous work.
Why work at Shoppers Drug Mart?
Acting as consultants, supporting internal customers and the Associate-Owners, you will get experience unique to the retail industry while working for an award-winning national brand. Benefit from a purchase discount program, competitive pay and online learning through SDMU.
Take ownership of your work and find more ways to care about your work, co-workers, customers and community.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Shoppers Drug Mart Inc., we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
Type of Role:
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.