I am available for up to 30 hours per week for remote and select on-site writing and editing needs. As quality is an essential component of my work, I am careful not to over-commit on time-sensitive jobs.
Contact me for specific details about my current availability.
Experience: 21 Years
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I am a writer and editor with a wide range of experience. It's my goal to provide you with the language and design that best meets your needs. I begin each project with a clean slate, avoiding one-size-fits-none boilerplates. Project templates are created new to fit the project.
I spent 19 years in a medical education environment focused on an array of writing-intensive tasks including: transcription, letters of recommendation, newsletters, posters, accreditation reporting, physician recruitment and application review, curriculum development, evaluation design and implementation, event and orientation coordination, web content management, development of software and process instruction, and the development of multiple manuals.
This experience has made me especially suited to write or edit application essays. I have written and edited many personal statements for clients seeking residency, master's and doctorate positions in business, education, family studies, law, medicine, nursing, physician assistant, psychology, school counseling, and social work. I have written and edited simple and complex curriculum vitae, and have a firm grasp on the essential elements of this academic version of a resume.
I have been writing fiction seriously since 1997. I have sold several short stories, primarily to periodicals, have written seven novels, and have written and edited two short story collections. I have been in a number of critique groups over the past 20 years, and have assisted fellow authors get their novels and short stories published.
This experience makes me especially strong in fiction big picture overview, proofreading, and developmental critique. My preferred genres are young adult and adult speculative fiction (fantasy, science fiction, dark fiction/horror).
In past short and long-term positions I provided a number of technical writing services. I have created process and software instructions ranging from simple one page documents to a 115-page manual. I have worked with multiple web content management systems. I use a logical approach to confirm or identify the true needs and scope, and then tailor the project to meet those needs.
This experience has prepared me to provide superior process, procedure, and instructional manuals in a variety of outputs (hard-copy, interactive PDF, and web-based). I enjoy using language and clean design to share ideas and explain procedures or processes clearly and succinctly. I take pride in improving or providing the training and reference materials that make clients' day-to-day lives smoother.
St. Paul Public Schools - Grant Department
- Policy and procedure manual revision and construction
- Development of a grants staff manual in interactive PDF and website formats
- Gained familiarity with Code of Federal Regulations Title 2, Part 200, Uniform Grant Guidance
- Used Schoolwires web content management system by Blackboard
- Project scope covered 115 topics and 130 web pagesSt. Paul Public Schools - Finance Office
- Development of questions and test for accountant 1-3 applicantsWriter and Editor - Independent Projects
- Internal medicine and family medicine residency personal statements
- Education doctoral program application essay
- Social work master of science program application essays
- School counseling master of science program application essays
- Master of business administration application essays and materials
- Master of nursing administration personal statements
- Psychology master of science personal statementWriter and Editor - Independent Projects
- Urban fantasy novel with Ukranian roots - developmental critique
- Young adult urban fantasy novel - developmental critiqueWriter and Editor - Independent Projects
- Letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae and resume writing
- Information technology resume writing and job search coaching
- Website bio writing and editingSpeculative Fiction Writer
* Numerous short story publications, including two collections of short stories
* Moderated 100+ panel discussions on various topics at conventions with up to 6000 attendees
* Blog with writing process articles has 550 followers
* Dragon NaturallySpeaking
* Plot, world, and character development
* Description, dialogue, and accurate quote attributionUniversity of Minnesota Physicians - Residency Administrator
* Created rotation manual for 28 required rotations and 15 standard elective rotations
* Created and implemented 29 curriculum-based evaluations
* Created residency administrator handbook with detailed instructions for all major tasks
Developed Process Documentation For
* Residency administrator position
* Worker's compensation
* Medical license and DEA certificate application
* Residency management and application software
* Microsoft Office and multiple e-mail applications
Recruitment and Communications
* Maintained program social media, managed website content
* Collated residency overview, history, demographics, and graduate data for applicants
Human Resources and Graduate Medical Education
* Developed and implemented Likert scale and free text resident and program evaluations
* Gathered data and provided reports to institutional and national organizations
* Participated in development and implementation of resident curriculumKarate and Women's Self Defense Instructor
- Redeveloped self defense curriculum based on research and experience with students' needs
- Redeveloped karate class to include semester and level-specific longitudinal curricula
- Developed end-of-course handout with technique descriptions, key discussion points, and resources
Education / QualificationsBachelor of Arts degree - Communications/Journalism, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Adobe InDesignAP Style WritingArticle WritingBlog WritingBusiness WritingContent WritingCopy editingCover Letter WritingCreative writingCurriculum DevelopmentCustomer serviceeLearningEditingEditorial WritingErotica WritingEssay WritingFirst aidGermanGoogle AppsGoogle DocsGoogle Spreadsheets
Grant writingJob Description WritingJournalism WritingLesson Plan WritingMail MergeMartial ArtsMedical transcriptionMedical WritingMicrosoft AccessMicrosoft ExcelMicrosoft PowerPointMicrosoft PublisherMicrosoft SharePoint AdministrationMicrosoft WordNewsletter WritingNovell NetWarePolicy WritingPolymer Clay SculptingProject managementProofreadingPublic speaking
QuarkXPressReceptionist SkillsRecipe WritingResume WritingShort Story WritingSpreadsheetsSurvey DesignSurveyMonkeyTechnical writingTranscriptionTumblrUser's Guide WritingWeb Content ManagementWordperfectWordPressWord processingWorldbuildingBook DesignPage LayoutHeadline Writing